Saturday, September 17, 2016

Week 2a: Business and Consumer

It's difficult to remember each time I've interacted with a business online. I don't believe I've ever tried to get noticed by a business with a complaint or anything, although I've provided certain feedback while not expecting a response. Some up-and-coming and moderately sized businesses seem very committed to providing information and help on social media to those who need it, but in general, I don't think social media is the best place to get noticed by a business. If anything, it simply helps you get drowned out by the thousands of other people commenting and posting on the same page.

Personally, I've never had an interaction with a business that really stands out, but I do know of people who have made a silly comment towards a business only to get a surprise from the business. The following exchange between cartoon-maker Alex Hirsch and Arby's comes to mind:


If I were running my own business's social media page, I would respond to all comments graciously and in a timely manner. I would thank all positive comments, and apologize to all negative comments or criticisms, and provide steps that that person could take to really make themselves heard by the business at large.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie this is a great detailed post! As many times as I have made positive or critical comments I have not heard back from the business which is kind of annoying considering the time and effort I gave to give feedback in the first place. Now with this post I do not necessarily agree with the antagonistic approach but it worked and now this person is getting free arby's for life!

    ReplyDelete